SubjectRe: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
Date
On Friday 29 October 2010 06:44:32 Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 10:26:41AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 04:55:02 +1300 Charles Manning wrote:
> > > YAFFS has been used for many years as a third-party patch-in.
> > >
> > > I have recently been through the exercise of changing all the symbols
> > > to be more kernel friendly with the intention of mainlining into the
> > > linux tree.
> > >
> > > The code is in git at
> > > http://github.com/cdhmanning/linux-yaffs-integration/
> >
> > It's difficult to review & comment on a git tree.
> > We prefer patches via email for review.
> >
> > > Thanks to CELF and Google for sponsoring the effort so far.
> > >
> > > What still needs to be done to mainline this?
> > > Who do I need to approach?
> >
> > Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily
> > tree or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.
>
> I'd be glad to add the code to the staging tree, but to do so, do you
> have a list of things that are left to do in order to get it properly
> merged to the "real" portion of the kernel?

We're getting into a Catch-22 discussion here... Until I fully understand what
is needed, I can't really say what needs to be done :-).

At this stage the code works, is integrated into, and compiles cleanly against
Linus' 2.6 git. My git is based on Linus' 2.6 as of yesterday.

I have done symbol cleaning changing the old yaffs names of the form
yaffs_ScanBackwards() to yaffs_scan_backward() etc.

What I really need is someone to look at what's there and tell me if there are
still style issues etc that need changing.

I know there is a style guide etc, but when we're talking about processing 15k
loc then some of those rules might be slightly bendable.

> And if so, what is preventing you from doing those tasks right now to
> get the code into the .38 kernel merge?

My biggest problem is not fully understanding the process.
Knowing if I need to change anything else and whom to send what to,

Thanks. Your input is much appreciated.

Charles

  Last update: 2010-10-28 19:59    [W:0.099 / U:0.292 seconds]