    SubjectRe: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
    On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 06:55:39AM +1300, Charles Manning wrote:
    > On Friday 29 October 2010 06:44:32 Greg KH wrote:

    > > > It's difficult to review & comment on a git tree.
    > > > We prefer patches via email for review.

    > > > Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily
    > > > tree or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.
    > >
    > > I'd be glad to add the code to the staging tree, but to do so, do you
    > > have a list of things that are left to do in order to get it properly
    > > merged to the "real" portion of the kernel?
    >
    > We're getting into a Catch-22 discussion here... Until I fully understand what
    > is needed, I can't really say what needs to be done :-).
    >
    > At this stage the code works, is integrated into, and compiles cleanly against
    > Linus' 2.6 git. My git is based on Linus' 2.6 as of yesterday.
    >
    > I have done symbol cleaning changing the old yaffs names of the form
    > yaffs_ScanBackwards() to yaffs_scan_backward() etc.
    >
    > What I really need is someone to look at what's there and tell me if there are
    > still style issues etc that need changing.
    >
    > I know there is a style guide etc, but when we're talking about processing 15k
    > loc then some of those rules might be slightly bendable.

    Not really.

    Have you run it through sparse and scripts/checkpatch.pl? If not,
    please do so and resolve all of the issues that they bring up.

    Then break up the filesystem into reviewable patches and send them to
    the linux-fsdevel list for review.

    Again, read Documentation/SubmittingPatches for the details on how to
    properly do this, it is described in very good detail :)

    > > And if so, what is preventing you from doing those tasks right now to
    > > get the code into the .38 kernel merge?
    >
    > My biggest problem is not fully understanding the process.

    The process is very well documented, have you read the documentation?
    If so, what part is lacking?

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2010-10-28 20:25    [W:0.030 / U:0.008 seconds]