SubjectRe: How do I add yaffs file system to mainline?
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 06:55:39AM +1300, Charles Manning wrote:
> On Friday 29 October 2010 06:44:32 Greg KH wrote:

> > > It's difficult to review & comment on a git tree.
> > > We prefer patches via email for review.

> > > Either ask Stephen Rothwell to add the git tree to the linux-next daily
> > > tree or ask Greg KH to add it to the drivers/staging/ area.
> >
> > I'd be glad to add the code to the staging tree, but to do so, do you
> > have a list of things that are left to do in order to get it properly
> > merged to the "real" portion of the kernel?
>
> We're getting into a Catch-22 discussion here... Until I fully understand what
> is needed, I can't really say what needs to be done :-).
>
> At this stage the code works, is integrated into, and compiles cleanly against
> Linus' 2.6 git. My git is based on Linus' 2.6 as of yesterday.
>
> I have done symbol cleaning changing the old yaffs names of the form
> yaffs_ScanBackwards() to yaffs_scan_backward() etc.
>
> What I really need is someone to look at what's there and tell me if there are
> still style issues etc that need changing.
>
> I know there is a style guide etc, but when we're talking about processing 15k
> loc then some of those rules might be slightly bendable.

Not really.

Have you run it through sparse and scripts/checkpatch.pl? If not,
please do so and resolve all of the issues that they bring up.

Then break up the filesystem into reviewable patches and send them to
the linux-fsdevel list for review.

Again, read Documentation/SubmittingPatches for the details on how to
properly do this, it is described in very good detail :)

> > And if so, what is preventing you from doing those tasks right now to
> > get the code into the .38 kernel merge?
>
> My biggest problem is not fully understanding the process.

The process is very well documented, have you read the documentation?
If so, what part is lacking?

thanks,

greg k-h