    SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch] Adding kmsg_dump() to reboot/halt/poweroff/emergency_restart path
    On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:51:12 +0300
    Artem Bityutskiy <Artem.Bityutskiy@nokia.com> wrote:

    > On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 10:52 +0200, ext KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Final messages from reboot, halt and poweroff aren't output to disk because klogd/syslogd
    > > > has been killed and root file system has been turned read-only.
    > > >
    > > > Final messages from emergency_restart aren't output to disk as well because system may
    > > > reboot before klogd/syslogd outputs messages to disk.
    > > >
    > > > Therefore, it is better to put kmsg_dumper in reboot/halt/poweroff/emergency_restart path.
    > > > Any comments/advices are welcome.
    > >
    > > I think mtdoops user don't want to dump logs if a system reboot/poweroff
    > > safely because mtd device have write count limitation. and they are main
    > > user of kmsg_dump().

    mtdoops was the only user until ramoops came along.

    > Right, at least this is how we use mtdoops - we log crashes.

    Fair enough. So I suppose the existing clients (mtdoops_do_dump and
    ramoops_do_dump) should be altered to inspect the `reason' argument,
    and return if it isn't KMSG_DUMP_OOPS, KMSG_DUMP_PANIC or
    KMSG_DUMP_KEXEC (I assume?)

    If that sounds suitable then I'd ask Seiji to update and resend the
    patch, along with a complete changelog as earlier dicussed.

    I'd suggest doing it as two patches, the first of which alters mtdoops
    and ramoops to perform their actions only for the appropriate `reason'
    values.

      Last update: 2010-10-28 01:39    [W:0.036 / U:0.764 seconds]