    SubjectRe: [RFC][Patch] Adding kmsg_dump() to reboot/halt/poweroff/emergency_restart path
    On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 16:35 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > > I think mtdoops user don't want to dump logs if a system reboot/poweroff
    > > > safely because mtd device have write count limitation. and they are main
    > > > user of kmsg_dump().
    >
    > mtdoops was the only user until ramoops came along.
    >
    > > Right, at least this is how we use mtdoops - we log crashes.
    >
    > Fair enough. So I suppose the existing clients (mtdoops_do_dump and
    > ramoops_do_dump) should be altered to inspect the `reason' argument,
    > and return if it isn't KMSG_DUMP_OOPS, KMSG_DUMP_PANIC or
    > KMSG_DUMP_KEXEC (I assume?)

    I agree, then mtdoops/ramoops can be tweaked to handle other messages.

    > If that sounds suitable then I'd ask Seiji to update and resend the
    > patch, along with a complete changelog as earlier dicussed.

    Yes, I think the patch makes perfect sense, just the existing
    functionality should not be changed as a side effect.

    > I'd suggest doing it as two patches, the first of which alters mtdoops
    > and ramoops to perform their actions only for the appropriate `reason'
    > values.

    Right, thanks.

    --
    Best Regards,