SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.33-rc3, rc2 regression at boot
Date
On Tuesday 05 January 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:

Ping?

>On Tuesday 05 January 2010, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>It's been quiet due to the holidays, so -rc3 is reasonably small despite
>>being a few days over the normal one-week mark. And most of the changes
>>are pretty trivial, although both ext4 and reiserfs had some trouble in
>>-rc2, hopefully all fixed now.
>>
>>The bulk of the patches are some SH defconfig updates (40%), but ignoring
>>those we have the normal "half drivers, half everything else" pattern. On
>>the driver front, the perhaps most notable change is not so much a code
>>change, but the small change of marking the "new" firewire stack as being
>>the recommended one.
>>
>>Wireless drivers, regular network drivers, filesystems, input layer..
>>
>>And here's to hoping one reason it's been quiet is that it's actually been
>>fairly stable. Give it a try,
>>
>> Linus
>
>[...]
>
>I didn't see anything here, but on looking at the ChangeLog for rc1, I see
> a lot of stuff fiddling with firmware. On my phenom x4, I get this very
> early in the boot:
>[ 0.558368] Unpacking initramfs...
>[ 0.648644] Freeing initrd memory: 3431k freed
>[ 0.651635] platform microcode: firmware: requesting
> amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin [ 60.646738] microcode: failed to load file
> amd-ucode/microcode_amd.bin [ 60.646858] microcode: CPU0:
> patch_level=0x1000065
>[ 60.646977] microcode: CPU1: patch_level=0x1000065
>[ 60.647099] microcode: CPU2: patch_level=0x1000065
>[ 60.647218] microcode: CPU3: patch_level=0x1000065
>
>Note the time, it kills quite close to a whole minute there, which at first
>would appear to be because there is not yet a mounted /lib filesystem to
> suck it from. I didn't build an rc1, but rc2 also suffers from this.
> 2.6.32.2 does not do this although its firmware request takes place at the
> same point. So it doesn't look like it is the lack of a mounted filesystem
> after all.
>
>FWIW, because it was a hot reboot, the patch_level reported is the correct
>level.
>
>I am also seeing some complaints about my Audigy2 sound card, but what I
> saw during the boot, never made it to the messages log. Something about
> guessing at the proper config, but I did hear kde sign on when x started.
>
>Thanks Linus.

Update, I edited the .config by hand and added the full path in
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware/"
which was just 'firmware', and rebuilt. No difference. I still get the 60
second hang. FWIW, this particular setting isn't visible in a make xconfig.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Far duller than a serpent's tooth it is to spend a quiet youth.

  Last update: 2010-01-06 22:05    [W:0.074 / U:0.260 seconds]