SubjectRe: usbutils 0.81 release
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 21:26, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

>> > Ah missed that, sorry. Sounds good if you add it to the tarball, but
>> > please don't add it to "make install", as packages should not ship
>> > scripts which change the installed package content, unless it's a
>> > config file.
>>
>> Debian places it in /var/lib/usbids/ for a good reason.  So does Ubuntu.
>> Both have working "update-usbids" scripts (might be the one from upstream,
>> or something different).  They also have the original file in /usr/share, I
>> don't know if usbutils was changed to check /var first then /usr, or what.
>
> Yeah, I was looking into doing some kind of "where to look first" type
> thing like lspci does.
>
> Any suggestions?  Specific directory locations and hierarchy that
> distros are already using?

Yeah, don't do it. There should be only a single place for it. This is
the reason udev rules are no longer in /etc, it is a nightmare to
support people thinking of "databases" as config files, they are not.

If you want to do that, introduce a directory, and merge all the the
entries based on the file order, then people can drop their content to
merge/overwrite there, but please don't do this with a single file
database.

You also really don't want to mark it in the package as a config file,
it should be overwritten with every package update, as long as there
is a single file only.

Thanks,
Kay