    SubjectRe: synaptics touchpad doesn't click
    At Wed, 16 Dec 2009 00:23:16 -0800,
    Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

    > On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 08:14:15AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
    > > At Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:56:53 -0800,
    > > Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

    > > > No.. Synaptics without right button == ClickPad.
    > >
    > > So, is there only Clickpad device that has a single button?
    > > No other option?
    > >

    > I have not seen any other Synaptics devices using less than 2 buttons.

    > > > Driver still takes options, from UDEV/HAL. We could pick one behavior
    > > > by default and ovverride, by box vendor/model (DMI).

    > > > Hopefully vendors won;t be flip/flopping between ClickZone and
    > > > ClickButtons too much. Still option is better than hardcoding ClickZone
    > > > for everyone.
    > >
    > > Yeah, I agree that hard-coding isn't good, and that's why I first
    > > posted separated patches. OTOH, the kernel-side hack makes the device
    > > working *as is* even without changing anything else.
    > >

    > For "ClickZone" - yes, but not all users would want this I guess and not
    > all laptops will have that zone marked. Pushing it off to userspace
    > gives more flexibility, including the ability to change zone size, etc.

    As mentioned, I agree basically for the user-space implementation for
    a long term solution. My point is that the kernel hack can be
    regarded as a quick hack for a short term while you have no patch yet
    for the user-space driver. It'll take time until the user-space
    update will be deployed in many distros while people tend to update
    only the kernel.

    Takashi

      Last update: 2009-12-16 14:07    [W:0.028 / U:29.412 seconds]