SubjectRe: synaptics touchpad doesn't click
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:17:39AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 16 Dec 2009 00:23:16 -0800,
> Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 08:14:15AM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > So, is there only Clickpad device that has a single button?
> > > No other option?
> > >

> > I have not seen any other Synaptics devices using less than 2 buttons.

> > > Yeah, I agree that hard-coding isn't good, and that's why I first
> > > posted separated patches. OTOH, the kernel-side hack makes the device
> > > working *as is* even without changing anything else.
> > >

> > For "ClickZone" - yes, but not all users would want this I guess and not
> > all laptops will have that zone marked. Pushing it off to userspace
> > gives more flexibility, including the ability to change zone size, etc.
>
> As mentioned, I agree basically for the user-space implementation for
> a long term solution. My point is that the kernel hack can be
> regarded as a quick hack for a short term while you have no patch yet
> for the user-space driver. It'll take time until the user-space
> update will be deployed in many distros while people tend to update
> only the kernel.

I strongly disagree here. The fact that some users are more likely to
update kernel than userspace bits is immaterial, besides such users can
easily patch their kernels with out-of-tree patches. Additionally kernel
patch would prevent writing proper userspace support because userspace
will not be able to reconstruct full device state (you are filtering out
some events).

--
Dmitry

  Last update: 2009-12-16 18:27    [W:0.099 / U:0.336 seconds]