    SubjectRe: [announce] new rt2800 drivers for Ralink wireless & project tree

    * Ivo van Doorn <ivdoorn@gmail.com> wrote:

    > > MAINTAINERS: add rt2800 entry
    >
    > I see you decided to take over the maintainership? Doesn't that need
    > the current maintainer to move away, or was this part of the "going
    > over other peoples head" plan?
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > These are too much (and too big) patches for me to review at once,
    > I'll look at them later.

    Frankly, having read through the recent discussions related to the
    rt2800pci/usb drivers, the subtle (and largely undeserved) group
    violence and abuse you are inflicting on Bart is stomach-turning.

    The non-working rt2800pci driver has been pending in your private tree
    for how long, 1.5 _years_?

    Look at the diffstat of Bart's driver:

    He reduced your 5.2 KLOC non-working driver into a 1.8 KLOC _working_
    driver.

    And _still_ your complaint about Bart's series is that he updated the
    MAINTAINERS entry and added an entry for rt2800? Heck _sure_ he should
    update it, he is the one doing the hard work of trying to bring it to
    users, trying to clean up a messy driver space, trying to turn crap into
    gold.

    The thing is, if you dont have the time or interest to listen to and act
    upon review feedback, be constructive about it and fix (obvious)
    structural problems in your rt2800 code, you should just step aside and
    let Bart maintain what he is apparently more capable of maintaining than
    you are.

    What you are doing here is a thinly veiled land-grab: you did a minimal
    token driver for rt2800 that doesnt work, kept it in your private tree
    for _1.5 years_, and the moment someone _else_ came along and did
    something better and more functional in drivers/staging/, you discovered
    your sudden interest for it and moved the crappy driver upstream at
    lightning's speed (it is already in net-next AFAICS, despite negative
    test and review feedback) - ignoring and throwing away all the work that
    Bart has done.

    Such behavior wouldnt fly in _any_ other Linux subsystem, but apparently
    there is one set of rules for upstream kernel maintainers and then
    there's another, different set of rules for upstream wireless driver
    maintainers.

    Really, you should listen to contrary opinion and _you_ should work
    _hard_ to integrate Bart socially and open up your close circle of
    wireless insiders instead of fighting his 'outsider' contributions every
    which way. We dont care if people are rough, express displeasure and
    show strong opinion about crappy code - but the moment you are
    _excluding_ capable people and playing petty office politics (like you
    are very clearly doing it with Bart here) everyone loses.

    Guys, show some minimal amount of honesty, openness and critical
    thinking please ...

    Ingo

      Last update: 2009-11-04 09:41    [W:0.025 / U:61.800 seconds]