    SubjectRe: FPGA programming driver architecture
    On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 20:14:36 -0200
    "Thiago Galesi" <> wrote:

    > Considering the several FPGA models available and ways to program it,
    > I guess the important thing to consider is what can be made generic.
    > (that is what will become fpgaload)

    I have a pretty good idea of what goes into the core and
    what goes into the specific interface modules (spi, parallel, etc).

    > Also, there may be cases where after FPGA is programmed it "becomes a
    > device" (PCI or whatever)

    This is exactly the case for my board, but it doesn´t change anything
    to the programming side of things, apart for the fact that the FPGA
    must be configured before using any in-FPGA PCI bus for example.

    > > > - fpgaload-core which contains all the code that can be shared
    > > > between the drivers like requesting firmware, providing sysfs
    > > > attributes,
    > > > - fpgaload-spi would handle the low-level SPI connection
    > > > - fpgaload-par would handle the low-level parallel connection
    > I think this maybe split into three layers (maybe)
    > 1 - low level connection: paralell / spi / i2c / whatever
    > 2 - vendor: xylinx, altera, etc
    > 3 - generic stuff
    > Take a look at the MTD and SPI drivers and how they split things

    I think that for the moment, I will focus on implementing the core
    module and the parallel/SPI interfaces only. Later we may want to add
    more fonctionality (vendors, JTAG, etc).

    But for now, my main problem is that I need to have some insight on how
    I actually implement the different modules:

    Bus driver?
    class driver?
    platform driver?

    Can anybody give some advice on that?

    Thank-you, Hugo.

    Hugo Villeneuve

      Last update: 2009-01-09 16:11    [W:0.029 / U:13.044 seconds]