SubjectRe: Request for MCE decode (AMD Barcelona, fam 10h)
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Tony Vroon <tony@vroon.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 16:04 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
>> Ok so you wanted linux-kernel to diagnose your hardware for you?
>
> I was hoping for some help in narrowing it down, yes. Jeroen's reply was
> very helpful, and more among the line of what I was expecting. I have
> contacted all vendors involved now, and it looks like the system RAM is
> not fully compatible with the mainboard.

I'm happy to see you've got it narrowed down enough.

> With regard to the message, I would suggest an alternate wording like
> such:
>
> A hardware component in your system is failing.
> Please contact your hardware vendor(s).
> If unsure, contact your CPU vendor first.

Or this:
"A hardware component in your system is failing.
[insert specific bit if MCE is certain enough about what part]
If you can, try to narrow it down by placing it in another mainboard
(assuming you have one available), or run [memcheck, another tool].
Then contact the hardware vendor(s) in question, if uncertain, try
your CPU vendor first."

> Regards,
> Tony V.

Jeroen.

  Last update: 2008-09-08 18:29    [W:0.050 / U:0.196 seconds]