SubjectRe: frame unwinder patches
On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 18:46:52 +0200
Bernd Schubert <bs@q-leap.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> up to 2.6.22 the -mm series had these nice frame unwinder patches,
> which gave beautiful stack traces. Unfortunately these frame unwinder
> patches seem to have been dropped :(
>
> Anyone still maintaining updated patches?
>
> Probably all the "?" lines shouldn't be printed.

printing the ? lines is the result of a compromise between getting the
most reliable information out of a stack trace, and getting a useful
data for the case where not everything is going as well as it should.

not printing the ? would be trivial (for some backtraces we do that),
but so far hasn't been seen as desirable because you lose information
in those hard-to-debug cases when you need anything you can get from
the backtrace.

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-09-04 19:31    [W:0.090 / U:0.128 seconds]