    SubjectRe: [RFC patch 0/4] TSC calibration improvements

    * Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > >
    > > i've added them to tip/x86/tsc and merged it into tip/master - if
    > > there's test success we can merge it into x86/urgent as well and push it
    > > into v2.6.27. Any objections to that merge route?
    > I don't think it's quite that urgent, and wonder what the downside is
    > of just changing the timeout to 10ms. On 32-bit x86, it was 30ms (I
    > think) before the merge, so it sounds like 50ms was a bit excessive
    > even before the whole "loop five times"/
    > So _short_ term, I'd really prefer (a) looping just three times and
    > (b) looping with a smaller timeout.

    ok - sounds very good to me! It's quite late in the cycle so the more
    commits we can delay to v2.6.28 the better IMHO.

    > Long-term, I actually think even 10ms is actually a total waste. I'll
    > post my trial "quick calibration" code that is more likely to fail
    > under virtualization or SMM (or, indeed, perhaps even on things like
    > TMTA CPU's that can have longer latencies due to translation), but
    > that is really fast and knows very intimately when it succeeds. I just
    > need to do slightly more testing.

    ah - perhaps a dynamic statistical approach with an estimation of
    worst-case calibration error (~= standard deviation) and a quality
    threshold to reach? That could dramatically increase the number of
    samples while also making it much faster in practice. Nifty!

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-09-04 18:03    [W:0.028 / U:11.048 seconds]