SubjectRe: [RFC patch 0/4] TSC calibration improvements

* Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:

> This patch series addresses following:
>
> - reduce the calibration time to a useful value
> - make decision smarter, when a reference (HPET/PMTIMER) is around
>
> The first patches are cleanups to prepare for the smarter loop
> handling.
>
> The main change is to reduce the PIT delay value to 10ms, which gives
> reasonable results on very slow machines as well. To avoid looping
> several times when the machine has a working reference counter
> (HPET/pmtimer), we compare the results of the PIT and the reference and
> break out of the loop when both match inside of a 10% window.
>
> For virtualized environments the PIT calibration fails often and the
> reference calibration is not reproducible with 10ms. To address this
> we check whether the PIT failed two times in a row and make the PIT
> loop longer (50ms) for the last try to get a better result for the
> reference.
>
> Most of the machines I tested break out of the loop after the first
> try with a stable reproducible result.

i've added them to tip/x86/tsc and merged it into tip/master - if
there's test success we can merge it into x86/urgent as well and push it
into v2.6.27. Any objections to that merge route?

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-09-04 17:39    [W:0.121 / U:0.096 seconds]