SubjectRe: [Bug #11550] pnp: Huge number of "io resource overlap" messages
Date
On Friday 26 September 2008, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> Here's another approach based on section 3.5 of the PCI Firmware spec.
> It says:
>
> Since not all devices may be configured prior to the operating
> system handoff, the operating system needs to know whether a
> specific BAR register has been configured by firmware. The operating
> system makes the determination by checking the I/O Enable, and
> Memory Enable bits in the device's command register, and Expansion
> ROM BAR enable bits. If the enable bit is set, then the corresponding
> resource register has been configured.
>
> So instead of checking whether the BAR contains zero, the patch below
> checks the I/O, Mem, and ROM BAR enable bits to determine whether a
> BAR is enabled.

That seems to nicely match what the BIOS setting does on my laptop.

> Frans, I'm sorry to trouble you again, but could you test this and
> make sure it takes care of the "resource overlap" messages you saw?

No problem at all. Works correctly (applied on top of current git).
I don't see any unexpected changes in the dmesg output, so:

Tested-by: Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl>

Cheers,
FJP

  Last update: 2008-09-27 17:19    [W:0.107 / U:0.324 seconds]