    > From: "Dave Airlie" <>
    > Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:45:46 +1000
    >> I'm still dubious about this, wouldn't we see other wierdass side
    >> effects if X was trashing the BARs on other devices?
    > Sure. My theory is that it's a recent xorg change causing this,
    > so I've been going through GIT history for xserver, libpciaccess,
    > and the intel driver for the past year looking for clues.
    > If there is usually a gap after the video device, there would just
    > be no response from the PCI bus, and the way that's handled is
    > chipset specific. At least a while back, most x86 systems would
    > silently ignore writes and return all 1's in such a case, but
    > they may be generating bus error events these days. I simply don't
    > know.

    The only thing I can think off then is either the pciaccess conversion
    of the intel Xorg driver,
    or maybe something going wrong since PAT support was added.

    >> I think tglx is on the right path, same problem as e1000, code is
    >> stupid, it can reenter the nvram read/write code from irq
    >> context, and pwn itself.
    > The e1000e side here is reproducable way too easily for it to be the
    > same case, as far as I see it.
    > The e1000 driver has probably had this problem for years and we've
    > only recently had some concrete cases of it triggering.
    > Also, what utility are you running on your system that is even
    > accessing the NVRAM on the e1000e card? Knowing that might help
    > us understand why this problem has appeared now. Maybe there is
    > some diagnostic or monitoring tool that is now becoming prevalent
    > in these distributions where it triggers.

    The driver seems quite happy to access the NVRAM, I think Thomas has
    some backtraces that show
    it clearly doing silly reentrant things...

    > This problem started happening seemingly "all of a sudden", even to
    > people who have been keeping sort-of recent with their kernels, such
    > as yourself.
    > Yet we can't get any sense yet what range of kernel versions are in
    > use when the problem triggers.

    I've seen it reported at least at 2.6.27-rc1 and maybe even one of
    Fedora's -rc0 kernels.

    > I'm about to leave for a week or so in Paris for the netfilter
    > workshop, so I hope that someone other than myself will do some data
    > mining like I have instead of (merely) tossing theories around and
    > finger pointing.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-09-24 11:03    [W:0.024 / U:14.040 seconds]