    > From: Jiri Kosina <>
    > Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:19:00 +0200 (CEST)
    >> > OpenSuSE 11 ships x server version 7.3.
    >> Opensuse 11 is fine.
    >> The problem can be reproduced [not only] on opensuse 11.1 beta1, which has
    >> xorg-x11-7.4-1.6.x86_64.rpm
    > I did some snooping around, and while doing so I noticed that the PCI
    > mmap code for x86 doesn't do one bit of range checking on the size, or
    > any other aspect of the request, wrt. the MMIO regions actually mapped
    > in the BARs of the PCI device.
    > Yikes!
    > It just does a reserve_memtype() on the address range, and says "ok".
    > So if, for example, the X server tries to mmap() more than an MMIO bar
    > actually maps, the kernel lets the user do this.
    > It would be very interesting to add the appropriate checks to
    > pci_mmap_page_range() in arch/x86/pci/i386.c, anyone who wants to do
    > this can use the code in arch/sparc64/kernel/pci.c:
    > __pci_mmap_make_offset() as a guide, and see what happens.
    > If the MMIO space regions of the video cards sit right before the
    > E1000E ones on the effected systems, that would pretty much
    > convince me that this is the kind of problem we are having here.
    > This also reminds me that there was that whole set of issues that
    > had to get worked out wrt. write-caching of mappings on x86.

    I'm still dubious about this, wouldn't we see other wierdass side
    effects if X was trashing the BARs on other devices?

    I think tglx is on the right path, same problem as e1000, code is
    stupid, it can reenter the nvram read/write code from irq
    context, and pwn itself.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-09-24 07:49    [W:0.023 / U:1.204 seconds]