    SubjectRe: (more) epoll troubles
    Michael Noisternig wrote:
    > Hello,
    > and sorry again if this is the wrong place to ask (again, please hint to
    > me to an appropriate place to ask in that case).
    > After experimenting with epoll edge-triggered mode I am clueless why on
    > a few occassions I seem to not get any input notification despite data
    > is available.
    > In detail: I have set up sockets with epoll events
    > EPOLLET|EPOLLRDHUP|EPOLLIN. When I get EPOLLIN for a socket, I read() as
    > long as I get what I asked for, i.e. whenever read() returns either
    > EAGAIN or less data than I asked for I take this as indication that I
    > must wait for another EPOLLIN notification. However, this does not seem
    > to work always.
    > Here is some log from my program:
    > 0x9e6b8a8: read not avail (1460/2048 read)
    > i.e. tried to read 2048 bytes, got 1460 -> assume must wait for EPOLLIN
    > for more data to read
    > (note that the fd is always in the epoll set with

    It would likely be better to always continue trying to read until EAGAIN
    is returned, even if the read returned less than the requested amount,
    as implied here:

    "The function do_use_fd() uses the new ready file descriptor until
    EAGAIN is returned by either read(2) or write(2). An event driven state
    machine application should, after having received EAGAIN, record its
    current state so that at the next call to do_use_fd() it will continue
    to read(2) or write(2) from where it stopped before. "