    SubjectRe: Tabs, spaces, indent and 80 character lines
    Richard Knutsson <> writes:

    >> I guess we could use tabs only at the line start, for indentation
    >> only. Rather hard to implement, most text editors can't do that yet.
    > You mean for split lines?

    Syntactic indentation vs alignment (including comments after
    non-blank, values for struct initialization etc, split lines too).

    > Hopefully there won't be that many, so there
    > is just to delete the tabs it added and replace it with spaces.

    Actually tabs "should" be used for indentation at start of the
    line, then spaces. "Ideally" :-)

    I.e., something like
    <TAB> if (cond && (cond2 ||
    <TAB> _____________cond3))
    <TAB> <TAB> do_something();

    Underline = space.

    Perhaps some day...

    > Exactly! But then we can remove the "we use 8 wide tabs in the kernel"
    > in CodeStyle.

    I'm not sure it's practically possible now.

    >> Unpacked sources will be much bigger with not tabs, sure.
    > Without no tabs at all, you mean?

    With spaces in place of all tabs.

    All tabs converted to spaces = 20% more?
    "Alignment" tabs converted to spaces? How cares how much more would it
    take if it's the correct thing. Except that it's not very practical at
    this point.
    Krzysztof Halasa

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-24 23:27    [W:0.039 / U:0.340 seconds]