    SubjectRe: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))
    From
    On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 05:20:51PM -0800, David Miller wrote:
    > From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
    > Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:44:47 -0800 (PST)
    >
    > > gitk --merge
    > > This is something where I actually think git could and should do better:
    > > git has the capability to act as more of a "quilt replacement", but
    > > because it wasn't part of the original design, we never actualy exposed
    > > the simple queue management commands to do this (stgit does things like
    > > that, though).
    > >
    > > So if you haven't pushed out, right now you'd have to do this stupid
    > > thing:
    >
    > Thanks for all the useful info.
    >
    > But as soon as I've applied any patches to my tree I've "pushed out".
    > So this scheme doesn't work for me. The first thing I do when I have
    > changes to apply is clone a tree locally and on master.kernel.org,
    > then I apply that first patch locally and push it out to master.
    >
    > What would be really cool is if you could do the rebase thing, push
    > that to a remote tree you were already pushing into and others could
    > pull from that and all the right things happen.
    >
    > A rebase is just a series of events, and those could propagate to
    > people who are pulling from the tree. I'm pretty sure GIT could
    > support this.

    git checkout -b new-tree old-tree
    # hack on new-tree: rebase, drop bad commits, whatever
    git merge -s ours old-tree
    git push your-public-repo new-tree:public-tree

    Now public-tree has a merge commit on the top with two parents,
    public-tree^1 and public-tree^2. public-tree^1 is the tip of the new
    cleaned-up history, and public-tree^2 points to the old stuff.

    I sometimes use that privately as a way to keep track of the history of
    a patch-series, but I assume Linus would shoot anyone that tried to
    submit such a monstrosity upstream....

    --b.

      Last update: 2008-02-13 05:55    [W:0.020 / U:213.272 seconds]