    SubjectRe: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))
    On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 18:35 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, James Bottomley wrote:
    > >
    > > Yes, this is exactly the feature I'm looking for. It would allow the
    > > downstream users of a rebased tree to rebase themselves correctly.
    > >
    > > All the information about the rebase is in the reflog ... it can't be
    > > too difficult to pass it through on a pull and allow the downstream tree
    > > to do the right thing.
    >
    > Guys, you simply have no idea what you're talking about.
    >
    > Those downstream trees can have done things themselves. They *depended* on
    > the state you gave them.
    >
    > You can't just say "oops, I lied, this is the state you should have used,
    > now it's _your_ mess to sort out".
    >
    > OF COURSE it's what you'd like to use - it absolves you of any and all
    > actual responsibility. But dammit, that's not what anybody else wants than
    > the irresponsible person who cannot be bothered to stand up for his work!
    >
    > If you're not confident enough about your work, don't push it out! It's
    > that simple. Pushing out to a public branch is a small "release".
    >
    > Have the f*cking back-bone to be able to stand behind what you did!

    Erm, I would like this feature as a downstream user.

    I'm not asking for this to be the default or even easily available.
    However, when you know you've based a downstream tree on what you know
    to be a volatile base, it would be very useful information to have.

    Right at the moment, I maintain a <branch> and a <branch>-base and
    simply cherry pick the commits between the two to do the right thing
    when I know my volatile base has changed. It would be very helpful to
    have a version of rebase that new my base had been rebased.

    Basing on a tree I know to be volatile is sometimes a development
    decision I make as a downstream user ... I'm just wishing the tools
    could help me handle the problems better.

    James

      Last update: 2008-02-13 04:03    [W:0.021 / U:35.280 seconds]