SubjectRe: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 19:31 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, James Bottomley wrote:
> >
> > Right at the moment, I maintain a <branch> and a <branch>-base and
> > simply cherry pick the commits between the two to do the right thing
> > when I know my volatile base has changed. It would be very helpful to
> > have a version of rebase that new my base had been rebased.
>
> Hey, I know, you could use.. drumroll..
>
> "git rebase"
>
> I know that's a big leap of faith, to use git rebase for rebasing, but
> there you have it. Us git people are kind of odd that way.
>
> IOW, if you know the old broken base, and the new base, just do
>
> git rebase --onto newbase oldbase
>
> and it should do exactly that (basically lots of automated cherry-picks).

OK, smarty-pants ... that works nicely, thanks!

I'm used to maintaining <branch> and <branch>-base, so this probably
suits my workflow better than getting the information from the reflog.

It wasn't clear from the git rebase man page that it would work like
that.

James

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans