    SubjectRe: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

    On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 19:31 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, James Bottomley wrote:
    > >
    > > Right at the moment, I maintain a <branch> and a <branch>-base and
    > > simply cherry pick the commits between the two to do the right thing
    > > when I know my volatile base has changed. It would be very helpful to
    > > have a version of rebase that new my base had been rebased.
    >
    > Hey, I know, you could use.. drumroll..
    >
    > "git rebase"
    >
    > I know that's a big leap of faith, to use git rebase for rebasing, but
    > there you have it. Us git people are kind of odd that way.
    >
    > IOW, if you know the old broken base, and the new base, just do
    >
    > git rebase --onto newbase oldbase
    >
    > and it should do exactly that (basically lots of automated cherry-picks).

    OK, smarty-pants ... that works nicely, thanks!

    I'm used to maintaining <branch> and <branch>-base, so this probably
    suits my workflow better than getting the information from the reflog.

    It wasn't clear from the git rebase man page that it would work like
    that.

    James

      Last update: 2008-02-13 05:13    [W:6.104 / U:0.004 seconds]