    SubjectRe: BTRFS partition usage...
    > The Sun disk label only allows you to specify the start of a partition
    > in cylinders, so if you want to use a filesystem like XFS you have to
    > start the partition on cylinder 1 which can be many blocks into the
    > disk. That entire first cylinder is completely wasted.

    I don't believe a cylinder of wasted disk space is significant. I don't
    believe a cylinder of disk is worth adding the complexity of sharing a
    partition to a filesystem. That complexity translates into engineering
    time and mistakes.

    Your other arguments for making a hole in the filesystem, based on
    tradition, are more convincing.

    --
    Bryan Henderson IBM Almaden Research Center
    San Jose CA Filesystems