SubjectRe: [Question] Can I open a substream in kernel space without attach to a file pointer?
At Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:19:21 +0800,
Bryan Wu wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> > At Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:40:38 +0800,
> > Bryan Wu wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Takashi,
> >>
> >> I just made some progress about this USB audio gadget driver. But I
> >> still got some questions about the audio playback.
> >> Please kindly help me to work out here, as you're the best one to ask, -:)
> >>
> >> I can receive ISO transfer packets from PC host. The packet includes
> >> 192 bytes audio data.
> >> So I tried to use vfs_write() function to write this 192 bytes to the
> >> opened snd card.
> >> There is no sound.
> >>
> >> Then I create a buffer which is 6K bytes size and a workqueue. I will
> >> fill the 6K buffer with the ISO packets data.
> >> When the 6K buffer is full, in the workqueue handler I will call
> >> vfs_write() function to write these 6K bytes data to the sound card.
> >> This time, sound played and it works although it is not very smooth.
> >>
> >> So I guess the audio buffer I great is very important to playback audio.
> >> How to choose the buffer size? If the size < 6K, there is no sound.
> >> I guess it depends on the sound card hardware, but I failed to find
> >> any info from hw_params and sw_params.
> >
> > Well, this pretty much depends on the "sound card" you are accessing.
> > You mentioned about AD1980 but the question is rather what
> > controller is used. The codec chip is basically independent from the
> > DMA transfer parameter.
> >

> Right, currently I'm trying AD1980 which using DMA transfer by
> Blackfin BF54x processor.

Is it an ASoC one?

> >> Actually, I want to remove the audio buffer here, just write the 192
> >> audio data to sound card directly. Is that possible?
> >
> > Also depends on the hardware. If the audio chip requires the DMA
> > transfer, you'd need anyway a buffer.
> >

> So how to determine the buffer size based on the DMA hardware configuration?

This should be done via usual hw_refine / hw_params ioctls.

> I tried to change the period_size and buffer_size of the runtime struct.
> It also didn't work.

Well, the constraint is rather the "slave" sound card. You are
actually creating a tunnel driver. The period size and buffer size
are issues of the controller, thus you cannot change the parameters of
the tunnel driver freely.

Takashi

> Thanks a lot
> -Bryan
>

> > Takashi
> >

> >> Thanks a lot.
> >> -Bryan

  Last update: 2008-12-11 14:27    [W:0.780 / U:0.044 seconds]