SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] [Question] Can I open a substream in kernel space without attach to a file pointer?
At Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:12:56 +0800,
Bryan Wu wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> wrote:
> > At Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:19:21 +0800,
> > Bryan Wu wrote:

> >> Right, currently I'm trying AD1980 which using DMA transfer by
> >> Blackfin BF54x processor.
> >
> > Is it an ASoC one?
> >

> Yes, it's.

Then another possibility is to create a sort of machine driver
communicates with ASoC codec driver instead of accessing to the
generic ALSA PCM core.

> >> So how to determine the buffer size based on the DMA hardware configuration?
> >
> > This should be done via usual hw_refine / hw_params ioctls.
> >

> in struct snd_pcm_hw_params, I guess only fifo_size is useful for me
> to choose my buffer size, right?

No, fifo_size is just a place holder, existing only for historical
reasons as now.

> If the fifo_size == 1K, so how big is OK for my buffer size?
>
> The buffer size is so tricky here, I try to make my driver is
> independent with the lower card hardware.
> So I need to find a algorithm to choose the buffer size here.
>
> >> I tried to change the period_size and buffer_size of the runtime struct.
> >> It also didn't work.
> >
> > Well, the constraint is rather the "slave" sound card. You are
> > actually creating a tunnel driver. The period size and buffer size
> > are issues of the controller, thus you cannot change the parameters of
> > the tunnel driver freely.
> >

> Exactly. And another question is whether is it possible using
> nonblocking writing in my driver?

Why your driver needs to care about non-blocking write? Usually PCM
core stuff cares the writing mode and other tasks.

Takashi

  Last update: 2008-12-12 08:03    [W:0.055 / U:0.252 seconds]