SubjectRe: [RFC patch 2/5] genirq: add a quick check handler
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 11:02:18PM -0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > Preparatory patch for threaded interrupt handlers.
> >
> > Adds a quick check handler which is called before the real handler.
> > The quick check handler can decide whether the interrupt was originated
> > from the device or not. It can also declare the interrupt as handled
> > and subsequently avoid that the real handler is called.
>
> I'd rather leave the handler as a handle which could return
> IRQ_NEEDS_HANDLING to get a separate thread_fn called. This seems more
> intuitive and means less mess in the fastpath.

see patch 3/5 :)

> Maybe IRQ_NEEDS_HANDLING might better be named IRQ_THREADED os similar,
> but that's really getting into nitpicking..

The reason why I split this out is: when you start to convert your
driver, then you can split out the quick check handler first w/o
making the real handler threaded in the first place. Once you got that
right you can work on moving the real handler into a thread.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2008-10-03 12:41    [W:1.634 / U:0.160 seconds]