SubjectRe: [RFC patch 2/5] genirq: add a quick check handler
On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 01:09 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Jon Masters wrote:
> >
> > We probably need some documentation eventually so people realize what
> > this "quickcheck" handler is for and what it's not for - under no
> > circumstances should anything more than the bare minimum be done.
> > Otherwise it breaks the benefit of deferred threaded handling. It's hard
> > to enforce that - but this is *not* a return of top/bottom half handling
> > where you can do whatever crap you like in the quickcheck bit.
> >

> We could always implement something similar to what I was told Microsoft
> does (I was just told this, I don't know for fact). Time this function and
> if it takes longer than, say 50us, print a warning and kill the device
> ;-)

You know, it's funny you suggested that because I thought about going
there. But there's probably some silly patent on that groundshattering
Microsoft solution to the halting problem.

Anyway, I like to think we in the Linux community trust developers to do
the right thing more than Microsoft does :)

Jon.

  Last update: 2008-10-02 12:55    [W:0.101 / U:0.072 seconds]