SubjectRe: sysfs: tagged directories not merged completely yet
Quoting Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com):
> "Serge E. Hallyn" <serue@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > Again fuse doesn't address the *core* issue (sysfs needing a way to
> > create files for multiple devicenames with same name). But I believe
> > Benjamin was looking into a minimal patch to fix that. Benjamin,
> > have you gotten anywhere with that?
>
> I would love to hear a minimal strategy for that.

Oh I just meant for kernel-space. So if a container is creating lo,
it will create a device named lo, but the sysfs file will be called
lo_1 or something.

> The only minimal strategy user space wise is to create multiple superblocks.
> Anything else I an think of violates backwards compatibility.

Yes, the above would require that the container either not mount
sysfs, ignore sysfs, or tweak sysfs using
mount -t tmpfs none /sys/class/net
mount --bind /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo_1 /sys/class/net/lo
or using fuse.

I'd definately prefer the sysfs tagging approach. But I'd prefer
the above over never being able to use network namespaces on a
standard distro (with sysfs enabled).

-serge

  Last update: 2008-10-15 15:45    [W:0.090 / U:0.468 seconds]