SubjectRe: sysfs: tagged directories not merged completely yet
Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com):
>> "Serge E. Hallyn" <serue@us.ibm.com> writes:
>>
>>> Again fuse doesn't address the *core* issue (sysfs needing a way to
>>> create files for multiple devicenames with same name). But I believe
>>> Benjamin was looking into a minimal patch to fix that. Benjamin,
>>> have you gotten anywhere with that?
>> I would love to hear a minimal strategy for that.
>
> Oh I just meant for kernel-space. So if a container is creating lo,
> it will create a device named lo, but the sysfs file will be called
> lo_1 or something.

I've started working on a patch that implements what you suggested:
add a suffix representing the netns to net device entries in sysfs.

It does work, but there are some issues (in addition to the fact that
these new device entries doesn't look very clean in /sys/class/net :) ).

For example, what is a good suffix for the device name.
We only have 4 bytes left for the suffix:

BUS_ID_SIZE - IFNAMSIZ = 4
sysfs net device
name length name length

Benjamin

--
B e n j a m i n T h e r y - BULL/DT/Open Software R&D

http://www.bull.com

  Last update: 2008-10-15 15:57    [W:0.106 / U:0.352 seconds]