SubjectRe: Kbuild update

{snip}

>TODO items (from my mailbox - I have plenty more)
>- asm-offset useable from modules (Oleg had a half backed solution)
>- modpost should use err(), warn() etc (suggestyed by Rusty)
>- less kernel hardcoding in kconfig (Rob Landley)
>- emit dependencies from "depends" (Bernhard Fischer)
>- fix select (whatever that means)
>- allow kconfig to accept overrides (Jan Engelhart)
> maybe there is a patch, needs followup
>- document kernel build better (Andreas Hermann)
> just a start, more is needed
>- save ARCH and CROSSCOMPILE
> requires major surgery to do correct - we use CC too early
>- i18n patch for mconf and friends (from Kernel Translator project)
> is old but several bits of it needs to be applied to better support i18n

Hmm, I glanced at that project. It's old and seems freezed now.
I don't know if people still have interests in the i18n of kconfig.
If so, I think I can help with the Chinese part. ;)

>- i18n support in kernel
> some like it, others don't. But now we have japanese versions of some docs...

Well, in fact, we've already had some Chinese docs too. ;)
Just have a look at Documentation/zh_CN/.

>- use GCC --combine (David Woodhouse)
>- more color themes (Jan Engelhart)
> and I would like them selectable from inside menuconfig
>- walk throug the ~15 qconf related patched - are they relevant?
>- document use of __init and related sections
>- Use seperate sections for all init sections to improve checking
>- improve headers_check (10x speed up is possible by doing a dir-by-dir check)
>
>bugzilla.kernel.org
>===================
>7103 sam@ravnborg.org NEW 2.6.17.* initramfs problem
>3174 sam@ravnborg.org ASSI 2.6.7 make rpm creates erroneous version number
>3486 sam@ravnborg.org ASSI 2.6.4-52 "make clean" on external driver will clean the kernel sou...
>6860 sam@ravnborg.org ASSI 2.6.18-rc1 'make deb-pkg' create incorrect package name
>7042 sam@ravnborg.org ASSI 2.6.17.7 Recursing into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build infects my b...
>8275 sam@ravnborg.org ASSI 2.6.21-rc5-g28d... make rpm-pkg broken for git cloned sources

I will take a look at the problems and see if I can help you.

{snip}

>Note: The kbuild stuff is done only in my spare time and
> with 3 kids, a wife and a full-time job I am often lacking behind.

Thanks for your work, Sam!

  Last update: 2008-01-04 14:25    [W:0.122 / U:0.264 seconds]