    SubjectRe: ndiswrapper and GPL-only symbols redux
    Geert Uytterhoeven <> writes:

    > On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Mans Rullgard wrote:
    >> Adrian Bunk <> writes:
    >> >
    >> > Someone might sell a laptop with Linux installed?
    >> Not a problem, unless it is booted when sold. Even that might not be
    >> a problem, since it would be a matter of transferring ownership of a
    >> single copy, not creating and distributing new copies, and the GPL
    >> is only concerned with the latter.
    > Interesting... I never heard about this `transferring ownership of a
    > single copy not involving GPL'.

    In the US, the first sale doctrine allows one to do pretty much
    anything with a given copy of a work, so long as no duplication is
    taking place. This includes modifying the work and selling it.

    > Note that some lawyers claim that at trade shows, you should not hand over
    > a demo device running GPLed code to any interested party, as it would be
    > distribution...

    Lawyers tend to be overly cautious at times. That said, I am not a
    lawyer, and may have misunderstood something. If that is the case, I
    apologise for any confusion I may have caused.

    Måns Rullgård

      Last update: 2008-01-30 09:53    [W:0.022 / U:0.576 seconds]