SubjectRe: ndiswrapper and GPL-only symbols redux
Date
On Tuesday 29 January 2008 19:46:06 Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@kernel.org> writes:

> >> As long as you don't distribute /proc/kcore, I can't see how the GPL
> >> would have any say in the matter. The Windows drivers are (unrelated
> >> violations aside) clearly not derived from GPL code.

Only because of the distribution of the windows driver. As I understand US and
International copyright law, dynamic linking cannot create a new, derivative
work and hence cannot carry its own license. (It's a "machine translation")
What that means is that there is no violation of the GPL if GPL'd code is
linked to proprietary code and then distributed. However, the GPLv3 does have
language in it that would require the proprietary code to also be
distributed.

DRH

--
Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.