    SubjectWhat's in mmc.git for 2.6.24
    The merge window for 2.6.24 should open up any day now, so it's
    probably time for me to detail what I intend to cram in there.

    This release will probably be one of the biggest ones for the MMC layer
    so far. The major pieces are SDIO and SPI support, but there are
    several small nuggets as well.

    SDIO
    ----

    Gone are the days of having to rely on proprietary stacks for SDIO
    support in Linux. So no more spotty support for hosts and possible GPL
    problems. SDIO will now be a standard feature of Linux.

    The model is largely based on PCI. All the memory operations they have
    (readX/writeX and friends) exist in an equivalent manner for SDIO. We
    also have the readsb() and writesb() functions which exist only on some
    platforms for "normal" I/O. (For those not familiar with these
    functions, they write every byte of a block of data into a single
    byte in the address space.)

    The big difference from other buses is that you have to hold the host
    lock (which has gotten SDIO wrappers for ease of use), and that all I/O
    operations may sleep.

    There has been some talk about asynchronous requests, but that doesn't
    really make much sense for a bus like SDIO where you don't interleave
    transfers.

    Interrupt support is also there and uses an interface similar to other
    buses. It is called from process context though (currently a dedicated
    kernel thread handles interrupts). Your ISR will also be called with
    the host lock held, so keep the ISR short and try delegate what you
    can. The only MUST is that you must remove the interrupt source before
    you exit.

    There are currently three working drivers for this new stack:

    - sdio_uart: A driver for the standardised GPS and UART interfaces.
    Currently we only know how the GPS system works, so UART is only a
    future possibility.

    - libertas_sdio: Support for Marvell's 8686 Libertas wifi chip. Will
    be merged late in the merge window as there are some interdependencies
    between my tree and the libertas tree.

    - hci_sdio: A driver for the standardised bluetooth interface. Marcel
    is in charge of this and I assume he intends to merge it as it is in a
    working condition.

    Porting drivers to this stack can be a bit of work. Other stacks seem
    to take the approach of handing over half the system to the sdio
    function drivers. This stack does not. Instead, it enforces a rather
    strict layering and hides almost all of the protocol stuff. Basically
    you should see it as a register interface, not a SDIO protocol
    interface.

    This might annoy some who want to be able to easily port drivers
    between stacks. But I believe that this will result in a much more
    robust system instead of a collection of hacks and workarounds. As an
    example, SPI support for SDIO is completely transparent for the
    function drivers. Few of the other stacks could have facilitated this.

    Finally, the SDIO stuff will work with any controller that correctly
    follows the MMC and SD specifications. Unfortunately, many don't. A
    common hardware bug is alignment requirements on addresses or sizes. So
    driver maintainers, please have a look at your controllers and make
    sure they can handle any kind of data block.

    SPI
    ---

    The second large feature is the fact that you can now use your SPI
    controllers for MMC, SD and SDIO. Yes, even SDIO works nicely over SPI.
    This means that a lot more systems can get storage and expansion I/O at
    basically the cost of a connector.

    In theory, everything that works with a true MMC/SD/SDIO controller
    will work over SPI. In practice, some things won't. There is a lot of
    shoddy hardware out there, so there's bound to be cards that aren't
    properly following specs when it comes to SPI. In my collection, I've
    found one card so far that doesn't work in SPI mode.

    David Brownell is currently marked as providing "odd fixes" for the
    mmc_spi driver, but we could really use a proper maintainer. So if you
    have sufficient experience with Linux' SPI interface and the time,
    please raise your hand.

    Error codes
    -----------

    I've finally gotten around to removing the MMC layer specific error
    codes. It now uses standard errno codes for all reporting.

    As a part of this, I've defined some codes to have specific meaning
    when found in the MMC layer:

    * ETIMEDOUT Card took too long to respond.

    * EILSEQ Basic format problem with the received or sent data
    (e.g. CRC check failed, incorrect opcode in response
    or bad end bit).

    * EINVAL Request cannot be performed because of restrictions
    in hardware and/or the driver.

    * ENOMEDIUM Host can determine that the slot is empty and is
    actively failing requests.

    These are also documented in include/linux/mmc/core.h.

    MMC_BYTEBLOCK
    -------------

    The BYTEBLOCK capability meant that the controller could satisfy
    requests of any size (up to maximum block size). It was added so that
    callers could determine if the hardware/driver could satisfy the
    request or not.

    As the result of the check was simply aborting, and the fact that the
    MMC and SD specs require blocks of any size, making the flag basically
    mean "not broken", it has now been replaced with a check inside the
    relevant drivers. When a request, that is correct as far as the
    protocol is concerned, is received that cannot be satisfied, the driver
    shall fail it with the error code -EINVAL.

    LEDs
    ----

    For those systems where there is no LED directly hooked up to the MMC
    controller, I've now added a LED trigger for each MMC host on the
    system. This is particularly useful for those of you that will use the
    new SPI feature as there is no MMC controller in that case.

    Adrian Bunk (1):
    make struct sdio_dev_attrs[] static

    David Brownell (4):
    MMC headers learn about SPI
    MMC/SD card driver learns SPI
    MMC core learns about SPI
    mmc_spi host driver

    David Vrabel (4):
    sdio: add SDIO_FBR_BASE(f) macro
    sdio: set the functions' block size
    sdio: extend sdio_readsb() and friends to handle any length of buffer
    sdio: add sdio_f0_readb() and sdio_f0_writeb()

    Marc Pignat (1):
    mmc: at91_mci: disable handling of blocks with size not multiple
    of 4 bytes

    Mariusz Kozlowski (1):
    sdio: kmalloc + memset conversion to kzalloc

    Nicolas Pitre (11):
    sdio: initial CIS parsing code
    sdio: link unknown CIS tuples to the sdio_func structure
    mmc: initialize mmc subsystem with subsys_initcall()
    sdio: defines for some standard interface types
    sdio: allow for mmc_claim_host to be aborted
    sdio: core support for SDIO function interrupt
    sdio: UART/GPS driver
    sdio: add /proc interface to sdio_uart driver
    sdio: add interface for host side SDIO interrupt reporting
    sdio: add default c_ispeed/c_ospeed values to sdio_uart driver
    sdio: fix recursion issues between sdio-uart driver and tty layer

    Pierre Ossman (30):
    mmc: remove custom error codes
    mmc: improve error code feedback
    mmc: read ext_csd version number
    mmc: mmc_set_data_timeout() parameter write is redundant
    mmc: remove BYTEBLOCK capability
    mmc: remove confusing flag
    mmc: add missing printk levels
    mmc: detect SDIO cards
    mmc: implement SDIO IO_RW_DIRECT operation
    mmc: basic SDIO device model
    mmc: add SDIO driver handling
    mmc: add basic SDIO I/O operations
    mmc: enable/disable functions for SDIO
    sdio: read and decode interesting parts of the CCCR
    sdio: basic parsing of FBR
    sdio: split up common and function CIS parsing
    sdio: add device id table and matching
    mmc: whip bus uevent handler into shape
    sdio: add modalias support
    sdio: add basic sysfs attributes
    sdio: support IO_RW_EXTENDED
    sdio: change clock speed
    sdio: enable wide bus mode
    mmc: fix incorrect divisor in debug output
    mmc: fix sdio timeout calculation
    mmc: replace BUG_ON with WARN_ON
    sdhci: sdio interrupt support
    mmc: increase power up delay
    sdio: store vendor strings
    mmc: add led trigger

    MAINTAINERS | 8 +-
    drivers/mmc/card/Kconfig | 7 +
    drivers/mmc/card/Makefile | 2 +
    drivers/mmc/card/block.c | 30 +-
    drivers/mmc/card/sdio_uart.c | 1158 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    drivers/mmc/core/Makefile | 4 +-
    drivers/mmc/core/bus.c | 67 ++-
    drivers/mmc/core/core.c | 167 ++++--
    drivers/mmc/core/core.h | 2 +
    drivers/mmc/core/host.c | 8 +
    drivers/mmc/core/mmc.c | 134 +++--
    drivers/mmc/core/mmc_ops.c | 200 +++++--
    drivers/mmc/core/mmc_ops.h | 3 +
    drivers/mmc/core/sd.c | 126 +++--
    drivers/mmc/core/sd_ops.c | 107 ++-
    drivers/mmc/core/sdio.c | 395 +++++++++++
    drivers/mmc/core/sdio_bus.c | 270 ++++++++
    drivers/mmc/core/sdio_bus.h | 22 +
    drivers/mmc/core/sdio_cis.c | 346 ++++++++++
    drivers/mmc/core/sdio_cis.h | 23 +
    drivers/mmc/core/sdio_io.c | 548 +++++++++++++++
    drivers/mmc/core/sdio_irq.c | 243 +++++++
    drivers/mmc/core/sdio_ops.c | 176 +++++
    drivers/mmc/core/sdio_ops.h | 22 +
    drivers/mmc/host/Kconfig | 13 +
    drivers/mmc/host/Makefile | 1 +
    drivers/mmc/host/at91_mci.c | 25 +-
    drivers/mmc/host/au1xmmc.c | 58 +-
    drivers/mmc/host/imxmmc.c | 16 +-
    drivers/mmc/host/mmc_spi.c | 1408 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    drivers/mmc/host/mmci.c | 20 +-
    drivers/mmc/host/omap.c | 12 +-
    drivers/mmc/host/pxamci.c | 12 +-
    drivers/mmc/host/sdhci.c | 90 ++-
    drivers/mmc/host/tifm_sd.c | 31 +-
    drivers/mmc/host/wbsd.c | 43 +-
    include/linux/mmc/card.h | 32 +
    include/linux/mmc/core.h | 63 ++-
    include/linux/mmc/host.h | 39 +-
    include/linux/mmc/mmc.h | 39 +-
    include/linux/mmc/sdio.h | 159 +++++
    include/linux/mmc/sdio_func.h | 153 +++++
    include/linux/mmc/sdio_ids.h | 23 +
    include/linux/mod_devicetable.h | 11 +
    include/linux/spi/mmc_spi.h | 33 +
    scripts/mod/file2alias.c | 20 +