    SubjectRe: Wasting our Freedom
    Date
    On Thursday 13 September 2007, Jason Dixon wrote:
    > It boggles my mind that we can lie around complacently, arguing about
    >   installer menus and taking the bait from trolls, while our freedoms
    > are quickly eroding away.  The rights and recognition of one of our
    > own developers (reyk@) have been molested, and all we've done as a
    > community is to participate in useless flames and blog postings. Theo
    > has thrown himself, once again, against the spears of the Linux
    > community and their legal vultures in order to protect our software
    > freedoms.  How many of us can say we've done our part to defend truly
    > Free Software?
    >
    > You don't have to be a lawyer or OpenBSD developer to make a
    > difference.  Email the SFLC and FSF and remind them that Free
    > Software consists of more than the almighty penguin.  OpenBSD is
    > arguably the most Free and Open operating system available anywhere.
    >   The SFLC and FSF need to remember that they were created to protect
    > victims, not thieves.
    >
    > Your donations are important for keeping the servers running, but
    > your voice is necessary for keeping our freedom alive.
    >

    > Contacts:
    >
    > Eben Moglen - moglen@softwarefreedom.org
    > Lawrence Lessig - lessig_from_web@pobox.com
    > Bradley M. Kuhn - bkuhn@softwarefreedom.org
    > Matt Norwood - norwood@softwarefreedom.org

    Hi Jason,

    I admire your intentions but there are a few things which you need to
    understand a bit better. First off, I do not know Lawrence Lessig or
    his involvement, so I do not understand how he made your list.

    On the other hand, Eben Moglen is arrogant and unscrupulous. His stated
    goal is to steal as much software as possible and put it under the GPL
    even when doing so is illegal. If you give him a valid and sound
    argument why the "legal advice" he has given is obviously illegal, the
    very most you will get from him is a facetious reply asking where you
    are licensed to practice law. -I know this from experience because it
    is the exact reply I got from him after emailing him this:
    http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118901954525700&w=2

    Whether they realize it or not, the other two clowns on your list,
    Bradley M. Kuhn and Matt Norwood (as well as Richard Fontana and Karen
    Sandler who also signed off on it) are really nothing than expendable
    cannon fodder for the FSF war against reality. Eben being crafty and
    cowardly, he decided not to put his name on the list of FSF lawyers
    signing off on the code theft. Since anyone could easily complain to
    the Bar Association about lawyers giving out bogus legal advice, and
    possibly cause them to be disbarred, cowardly Eben is letting others
    take the fall.

    http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=118857712529898&w=2
    Signed-Off-By: Bradley M. Kuhn <bkuhn@softwarefreedom.org>
    Signed-Off-By: Matt Norwood <norwood@softwarefreedom.org>
    Signed-Off-By: Richard Fontana <fontana@softwarefreedom.org>
    Signed-Off-By: Karen Sandler <karen@softwarefreedom.org>

    Most of us are also aware of the instance where OpenBSD took some GPL
    code and replaced the license with BSD. What OpenBSD did in that cases
    was just as illegal, just as immoral and just as wrong but it was
    corrected when it was discovered in one of the dev branches of cvs.

    In the case of Ryek's code, the reverse is true but instead of admitting
    the mistake and making the needed corrections, FSF has pulled out their
    lawyers in hopes of getting away with the theft. All of this is being
    done *intentionally* in hopes that no one will put up a fight.

    Would Linus put up a fight if someone took his source tree and
    relicensed the whole thing as GPLv3 without his permission? Yep, you
    betcha he'd fight and he has already had to put up with a lot of strong
    arm nonsense from the GPLv3/FSF zealots.

    The main thing you need to grasp Jason is the people behind the illegal
    license replacements are doing it *intentionally* so voicing your
    concerns to them will fall on deaf ears. I'm cc'ing all of them not
    merely for the antagonistic pleasure but because I want them to know
    that people do see past their shifty, illegal and immoral ways. Their
    modus operandi is very simple; keep stealing code until they get
    busted, go to court, and then go back to stealing as much code as
    possible.

    All of their nonsense marketing about freedom and fairness is nothing
    more than a lie to cover their real intentions; enforcing the
    insane "share or be punished" manifesto of their delusional and
    deranged leader Richard Stallman.

    "If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
    programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they
    restrict the use of these programs."

    The "GNU Manifesto" by Richard Stallman can be found here:
    http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/GNU/info/GNUGNU

    If Stallman actually believed a word of what he wrote above, he would
    still be dedicating all of his works to the public domain since it
    would have no restrictions. In short, Stallman is a liar. Stallman may
    be intelligent, persuasive and deceptive but he is neither rational nor
    wise. A rational man knows deceiving or forcing people to share will
    only causes resentment, and a wise man knows that the true value of
    sharing is best taught by example and is corrupted when taught by force
    or deception.

    I wish it was otherwise but they insist on pushing their forced-sharing
    agenda in every manner possible until someone fights back. As sad is it
    might seem, the only "reason" they will listen to is what they know and
    teach, namely force; a court decision awarding punitive damages for
    criminal infringement and getting all of their incompetent and
    unscrupulous lawyers disbarred.

    Jason, if they really insist on having a brawl, then it's time to take
    the gloves off, kick their ass in German court where copyright
    infringement is a criminal offense, and then break their legal fangs so
    they never try it again. It will be a very sad loss for everyone.

    Yes, I can reasonably expect to get plenty of vitriolic hate mail from
    all the "true believers" on the linux kernel mailing list an elsewhere
    who think the above is a troll worthy of it's own bridge. None the less
    I'm tired of watching Stallman, Moglen and other charismatic, deceptive
    nutjobs hand you little cups of koolaid as "practice runs" in the form
    of new versions of the GPL and each time you drink it down without a
    second thought... -I hope you learn to think twice about it, and
    reading a bit of history about cult figures will do you some good:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown#Mass_murder-and-suicide

    kind regards,
    JCR

      Last update: 2007-09-15 13:13    [W:0.040 / U:35.800 seconds]