    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Problems with USB disk [solved]
    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Mark Lord wrote:

    > Alan Stern wrote:
    > > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Mark Lord wrote:
    > >
    > >> Chuck Ebbert wrote:
    > ..
    > >> There's more to this.
    > >>
    > >> My Sandisk Cruzer Micro 1GB USB sticks suffer from this regression.
    > >
    > > I seriously doubt that. Are you claiming that your USB stick spins
    > > itself down during a suspend? And then requires to be spun back up
    > > before it will resume proper operation?
    >
    > No, the machine is not being suspended at all.
    >
    > What happens is, there's a nice little LED on the Cruzer stick,
    > that is "lit" when the stick itself is not in a "power suspend" state
    > (or whatever you USB folks call it).

    We call it "suspended". (Wasn't there an episode of Classic Trek where
    Mr. Spock explained to somebody, "I call them `ears'."?)

    > On 2.6.22, that little LED stays "on" normally, and flickers off/on
    > when data is being transfered.
    >
    > The new "USB autosuspend" logic in 2.6.23 now causes that little LED
    > to turn off after a few seconds of inactivity.
    >
    > Once that happens, the USB stick is not accessible until after a longish
    > timeout (~30s I think), followed by a USB reset. Then it is usable again
    > until the next inactivity timeout and autosuspend (a few seconds).

    So this _isn't_ the regression described above -- to wit, that the
    drive gets spun down and then won't work without first being spun back
    up. You wrote:

    > >> My Sandisk Cruzer Micro 1GB USB sticks suffer from this regression.

    But it doesn't. It suffers from a different regression.

    Alan Stern

      Last update: 2007-09-13 17:11    [W:0.025 / U:0.896 seconds]