    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Problems with USB disk [solved]
    Alan Stern wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Mark Lord wrote:
    >> Chuck Ebbert wrote:
    >>> Oh, nice. The usb-storage (SCSI) disk spins itself down and we can't handle that.
    >>> Should we be disabling auto-spindown when we connect the device, or be able to
    >>> handle this by sending the start command when needed?
    >> There's more to this.
    >> My Sandisk Cruzer Micro 1GB USB sticks suffer from this regression.
    > I seriously doubt that. Are you claiming that your USB stick spins
    > itself down during a suspend? And then requires to be spun back up
    > before it will resume proper operation?

    No, the machine is not being suspended at all.

    What happens is, there's a nice little LED on the Cruzer stick,
    that is "lit" when the stick itself is not in a "power suspend" state
    (or whatever you USB folks call it).

    On 2.6.22, that little LED stays "on" normally, and flickers off/on
    when data is being transfered.

    The new "USB autosuspend" logic in 2.6.23 now causes that little LED
    to turn off after a few seconds of inactivity.

    Once that happens, the USB stick is not accessible until after a longish
    timeout (~30s I think), followed by a USB reset. Then it is usable again
    until the next inactivity timeout and autosuspend (a few seconds).

      Last update: 2007-09-13 16:39    [W:0.035 / U:0.460 seconds]