    SubjectRe: uncached page allocator
    Peter Zijlstra wrote:
    > On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 16:05 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
    >

    >>So you can see why some sort of uncached+writecombined page cache
    >>would be useful, I could just allocate a bunch of pages at startup as
    >>uncached+writecombined, and allocate pixmaps from them and when I
    >>bind/free the pixmap I don't need the flush at all, now I'd really
    >>like this to be part of the VM so that under memory pressure it can
    >>just take the pages I've got in my cache back and after flushing turn
    >>them back into cached pages, the other option is for the DRM to do
    >>this on its own and penalise the whole system.
    >

    > Can't you make these pages part of the regular VM by sticking them all
    > into an address_space.
    >
    > And for this reclaim behaviour you'd only need to set PG_private and
    > have a_ops->releasepage() dtrt.

    I'd just suggest Dave just registers a shrinker to start with.

    You really want to be able to batch TLB flushes as well, which
    ->releasepage may not be so good at (you could add more machinery
    behind the releasepage to build batches and so on, but anyway, a
    shrinker might be the quickest way to get something working).

    --
    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.