SubjectRe: Storing Maintainers info around the kernel tree
On 08/16/2007 03:04 PM, Kyle Moffett wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2007, at 07:57:23, Rene Herman wrote:

>> category as .gitignore, which would _be_ a property.
>>
>> If you do this stuff in files scattered around the tree, updating and
>> moving stuff becomes a pain -- the tool would need to go edit files.
>
> From a practical standpoint we don't want to duplicate someone's
> maintainer information in the attributes of every file they maintain.

In a tree structure, you don't have to. As described earlier, the tool
(git-prop) looks for the requested property being set first on the file
itself, then on the directory in which it resides, then its parent, and so
on. If I read things right, this is also how properties work in subversion
in fact.

So after

$ git prop --set --name maintainer --value \
"Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@gmail.com>" drivers/ide/
and

$ git prop --set --name maintainer --value \
"Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>" drivers/ide/ide-cd.*

we get:

$ git prop --get --name maintainer drivers/ide/ide-cd.c
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>

$ git prop --get --name maintainer drivers/ide/ide-generic.c
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@gmail.com>

Now, this override behaviour needs a tree structure ofcourse, but notice I
set the "maintainer" property only to the name/address. The other
information from the MAINTAINERS file would be using their own properties:

$ git prop --set --name tree --value \
"quilt kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/pata-2.6/" drivers/ide/

and nothing under drivers/ide/ would override this value nor would it be
repeated anywhere. Alan takes care of more than ide-cd but only the actual
"maintainer" value string would be set on the others as well and repeating
that much for different "maintenance units" is no different from the current
MAINTAINERS file where it also is (well, would be, Alan is in fact only
listed for ide-cd it seems...) repeated in different entries.

(as a slight difference -- in the above example, Alan's information _is_
repeated over ide-cd.c and ide-cd.h where the current MAINTAINERS file just
says "IDE/ATAPI CDROM DRIVER", but that's a bit of an oddbal situation since
you normally have either single files or a tree that make up a "maintenance
unit" -- and is in fact just a human versus tool difference).

> It would be much easier to put in the "kernel/somesubsys" directory a
> Maintainers file which has:

It's ofcourse possible, but note that if we want this stuff to be minimally
manual, moving files around (and deleting them) then requires editing these
actual in-tree files via a tool.

With the properties deleting files just requires deleting any file-specific
properties alongside which is trivial since those are linked from the file.

Moving stuff works by building a list of all properties that are set on the
source starting at the source and destination's highest shared parent
directory and then reconstructing this list at the destination, striking
properties off the list that are already set at the destination.

Adding properties, alongside added files or after the fact, could be done
via standard patch submissals via the kind of "meta-diff" that already
exists for "git move".

I really believe this stuff should be meta-data -- and these properties as
outlined work well it seems.

$ git prop --set --name git.ignore -V ./.gitignore .
$ rm .gitignore

This is something I saw subversion also uses properties for. Takes the value
from a file instead of the command line. .gitattributes are also easily
incorporated into the property-system directly.

$ git prop --set --name git.executable scripts/Lindent

Must say I'm not particularly sure if this one has much value over the
current executable bit storage,but also from svn and example of a boolean
property.

$ git prop --set --name license --value "GPL v2" .
$ git prop --set --name license --value "GPL" sound/alsa/

and so on. The GPL v2 on the source root only works if you set the property
on everything that's not, so you may not want to but as a "wouldn't it be
nice if" kinda thing. Makes for easy license analysis at least...

$ git prop --set --name FIXME drivers/block/floppy.c

Okay, that's probably overdoing it a bit, but as long as I'm having fun here...

Note -- the properties would be versioned themselves ofcourse so that you'd
always have a tree where data and meta-data matched. Basically, I believe
you'd view the properties as just more data files, one per property, with
the exception that they'd not actually live in the working tree and are
linked from data (files/directories) that do.

Long "letters of intent" this, but I'm by now in love with these things.
More comments (or implementations obviously :-) welcome. Any significant
misses in this?

Rene.

  Last update: 2007-08-16 17:23    [W:0.119 / U:0.736 seconds]