    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng 2.13-rc1
    On 5 Jul 2007, Mike Frysinger outgrape:
    > On Thursday 05 July 2007, Bodo Eggert wrote:
    >> The Makefiles generated by autotools is a huge mess, if autotools got it
    >> wrong (again!), fixing them requires editing a lot of files.
    > this looks like a no brainer to me: dont edit generated files

    There is a worthwhile point here: if your input to the makefile
    generator is buggy and make errors out, you'll have to look at the
    generated code in order to relate the make error to the original.

    (It's not that hard with automake, admittedly, but make should
    really have a #line analogue to help. It could be much worse, as
    anyone who ever tried to use Knuth's old WEAVE tool would know.
    At least automake doesn't intentionally obfuscate the makefiles
    it emits...)

    `... in the sense that dragons logically follow evolution so they would
    be able to wield metal.' --- Kenneth Eng's colourless green ideas sleep

      Last update: 2007-07-05 23:37    [W:0.019 / U:3.192 seconds]