SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng 2.13-rc1
Date
On Thursday 05 July 2007, Nix wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2007, Mike Frysinger outgrape:
> > On Thursday 05 July 2007, Bodo Eggert wrote:
> >> The Makefiles generated by autotools is a huge mess, if autotools got it
> >> wrong (again!), fixing them requires editing a lot of files.
> >
> > this looks like a no brainer to me: dont edit generated files
>
> There is a worthwhile point here: if your input to the makefile
> generator is buggy and make errors out, you'll have to look at the
> generated code in order to relate the make error to the original.

granted, this can be a pain (ive spent an annoying amount of time tracking
down unbalanced quotes/parens/etc... by trying to correlate configure.ac with
configure), but i dont feel like this is a autotool-specific issue as it can
come up with other auto-build-generators as well. heck, a minor typo in a
hand written makefile can sometimes be a time sink and hard to trace back
(just look at linux kernel makefiles).
-mike

  Last update: 2007-07-05 23:47    [W:0.045 / U:0.272 seconds]