    SubjectVT_PROCESS, VT_LOCKSWITCH capabilities

    I wonder why there are different permissions needed for VT_PROCESS
    (access to the current virtual console) and VT_LOCKSWITCH

    The first one lets the calling process decide if console switching is
    allowed, the second one simply disables it. If a program wants to
    forbid console switching the only technical difference I can see is that
    switching is automatically reenabled when the program exits when using
    VT_PROCESS. When using VT_LOCKSWITCH it must be manually reenabled.
    When the program uses the first method and disables terminal signals and
    SysRQ is disabled, too, I see no practical difference between the two.

    Please CC me on replies, I am not on the list.

    Best regards
    Frank Benkstein.

      Last update: 2007-08-01 00:57    [W:0.018 / U:36.864 seconds]