SubjectRe: ASUS P5B
Piotr wrote:
> Hello i have a problem with my ASUS p5b mobo, i am a gentoo user and i'm
> getting this error while booting my system from newest gentoo-sources
> 2.6.22 (this also happens on earlier ver. of kernel) i get this message:
>
> "PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at f0000000 is not E820-reserved
> PCI: Not using MMCONFIG."
>
> and i dunno how can this be fixed, i can start to boot my kernel with
> nommconf but i don' like to have problems like that, and maybe some of
> you ppl have a better solution for this problem?

It's not a huge problem, it mainly just means that extended PCI Express
configuration space can't be accessed, and that doesn't seem to be used
much currently.

Actually, the E820 validation check in mainline currently is too strict
as the MMCONFIG area is not required to be reserved in the E820 table.
There's a patch in the -mm tree to validate this against ACPI
motherboard resources instead, as well as a fix to a PCI probing issue
that caused problems on some Intel boards with MMCONFIG enabled. You can
try an -mm kernel and see if this is resolved.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada