SubjectRe: [patch 25/29] xen: Add the Xen virtual network device driver.
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> There only seems to be a module description but no actual paramter for
> this. I wish people would have listened to me back then and made the
> description part of the modular_param statement..

Uh, what did I miss? Oh, I see, I need a module_param(rx_mode, int,
0600) or something? Or maybe with a callback if we can change it on the
fly? And enum type? Or maybe I string?

I'll sort it out.

>> +
>> +#define RX_COPY_THRESHOLD 256
>> +
>> +#define GRANT_INVALID_REF 0
>> +
>> +#define NET_TX_RING_SIZE __RING_SIZE((struct xen_netif_tx_sring *)0, PAGE_SIZE)
>> +#define NET_RX_RING_SIZE __RING_SIZE((struct xen_netif_rx_sring *)0, PAGE_SIZE)
>>

> __RING_SIZE is not in my tree, so it seems to be some kind of Xen
> addition. Can you make that clear in the name and give it a less
> awkware calling convention, e.g. only pass in the type, not a null
> pointer of the given type?

Yeah. The Xen ring stuff is a bit full of magic macros, so I was going
to look at inlineizing/re-namespacing it in a separate patch.

>> +/*
>> + * Implement our own carrier flag: the network stack's version causes delays
>> + * when the carrier is re-enabled (in particular, dev_activate() may not
>> + * immediately be called, which can cause packet loss).
>> + */
>> +#define netfront_carrier_on(netif) ((netif)->carrier = 1)
>> +#define netfront_carrier_off(netif) ((netif)->carrier = 0)
>> +#define netfront_carrier_ok(netif) ((netif)->carrier)
>>

> This doesn't implement my review suggestion despite you ACKing
> them. Didn't you like it in the end or did you simply forget
> about it?

Sorry, I forgot about it. I was waiting to hear back from network
people about what this is actually for, and whether we really need it.
Rusty said in his review:
> Well, you only call netfront_carrier_on() from one place, so it's pretty
> easy to do "netif_carrier_on(); dev_activate();" there.
>
> I don't think this is critical though.

It wasn't obvious to me whether this meant that we could avoid having a
netfront-private carrier flag but still get quick response by using
"netif_carrier_on(); dev_activate();".

  Last update: 2007-05-05 18:25    [W:0.483 / U:0.032 seconds]