    SubjectRe: Syslets, Threadlets, generic AIO support, v6

    On Wed, 30 May 2007, Davide Libenzi wrote:
    > I agree. What would be a good interface to allocate fds in such area? We
    > don't want to replicate syscalls, so maybe a special new dup function?

    I'd do it with something like "newfd = dup2(fd, NONLINEAR_FD)" or similar,
    and just have NONLINEAR_FD be some magic value (for example, make it be
    0x40000000 - the bit that says "private, nonlinear" in the first place).

    But what's gotten lost in the current discussion is that we probably don't
    actually _need_ such a private space. I'm just saying that if the *choice*
    is between memory-mapped interfaces and a private fd-space, we should
    probably go for the latter. "Everything is a file" is the UNIX way, after
    all. But there's little reason to introduce private fd's otherwise.

      Last update: 2007-05-31 00:07    [W:0.030 / U:15.372 seconds]