SubjectRe: How to access correctly serial port inside module?
Am 24.05.2007 21:15 schrieb Lars K.W. Gohlke:
> Jan Engelhardt schrieb:
[code proposal]
>> [I've warned about it... ;-) ]
>
> is it the way to access from kernelspace the userspace fs?
> the not-correct-way?

Yes, indeed.

> If it is so, I will wait for another solution ;)

I'm not sure waiting will help. The roasted pigeons will not come
flying into your mouth.

The possible solutions have been sketched out for you:

a) open the device file from the kernel (described by Jan):
actively discouraged by the kernelnewbies.org FAQ document,
and probably won't even work IMHO

b) program the serial port directly (described by Jan):
will work only with one type of hardware and you'll have to
disable the regular serial driver first; frowned upon by kernel
gurus as "reinventing the wheel"

c) abuse the line discipline interface (described by me):
moderately well documented, and there's precedent for using it
that way in the well-accepted PPP module as well as my humble
contribution, the ser_gigaset driver; requires a userspace
daemon for pushing the line discipline module on the serial
port and keeping it there

d) use the serio interface (described by Ying Huang):
potentially cleaner conceptually and seems to work without a
userspace daemon, but apparently not documented anywhere
except in the source files drivers/input/serio/serport.c
and linux/drivers/input/mouse/sermouse.c

Now it's your turn to decide.

HTH
T.

--
Tilman Schmidt E-Mail: tilman@imap.cc
Bonn, Germany

  Last update: 2007-05-28 19:05    [W:2.706 / U:0.004 seconds]