    SubjectRe: how to allow board writers to customize driver behavior (watchdog here)
    Date
    On Thu 24 May 2007 01:23, Paul Mundt pondered:
    > On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 12:21:47AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
    > > is this completely bad mojo ? is there some other mechanism that
    > > provides what i want and i just dont know about it ? or do i just
    > > make people change the driver to fit their application, thus throwing
    > > out the idea of keeping all board-specific details in just the boards
    > > file ...
    >
    > It sounds like your constraining your driver based on terminology.
    > Watchdogs on most embedded platforms support either a 'reset' mode or
    > otherwise act as periodic timers, trying to push both of these
    > functionalities in to a watchdog driver is rather pointless.
    > CONFIG_WATCHDOG implies 'reset' mode by definition.

    I understand what you mean - typically - most people think of watchdog ==
    reset.

    But, calling it a periodic timer, and servicing it with the watchdog user
    space demon is even more confusing - isn't it?

    -Robin

      Last update: 2007-05-24 15:31    [W:0.020 / U:3.560 seconds]