    SubjectRe: how to allow board writers to customize driver behavior (watchdog here)
    Date
    On Thu 24 May 2007 11:23, Paul Mundt pondered:

    > Calling it a periodic timer when its in periodic timer mode makes sense.

    No disagreements - but I don't think that a watchdog that doesn't cause a
    reset is a periodic timer.

    > Why you would want to interface that with a userspace watchdog daemon is
    > beyond me, they're conceptually unrelated.

    Agreed again - periodic timers have nothing to do with watchdogs. This is
    where I am confused about why you are saying that the only event a watchdog
    can have is a hard reset.

    > Please read my original mail on the subject.

    I did. Twice - but maybe I am still missing something. (sorry)

    > I'm not advocating hiding a
    > clocksource somewhere in the depths of CONFIG_WATCHDOG, they're
    > completely unrelated.

    I (and many others) consider a "watchdog" a clock sink - something that needs
    to be poked within certain limits (too fast can indicate a failures just as
    too slow is a failure).

    The event or how something is notified of the failure of the watchdog to be
    serviced shouldn't determine what the name is.

    What's in a name? that which we call a watchdog
    By any other name would smell as sweet;
    -Bill S

    -Robin

      Last update: 2007-05-24 19:33    [W:0.053 / U:32.308 seconds]