SubjectRe: If not readdir() then what?
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 04:36:33PM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
>> this functionality, and it is highly questionable how useful it is,
>> anyway. If you use telldir/seekdir and keep the cookie for a long
>> time, even the POSIX-provided guarantees about files that are created
>> and deleted between the telldir() and seekdir() points in time makes
>> its utility highly dubious.
>
> It's not going to solve anything at all. We can't stop supporting
> functionality that has been there forever.

Well, the question is if you can keep the seekdir/telldir cookie around
as a pointer -- preferrably in userspace, of course. You would
presumably garbage-collect them on closedir() -- there is no other point
at which you could.

I personally suspect that hch is right -- this stuff has been there
since time immemorial and it'll be hard or impossible to deprecate it.

-hpa

  Last update: 2007-04-08 20:17    [W:0.537 / U:0.456 seconds]