    SubjectRe: [ext3][kernels >= 2.6.20.7 at least] KDE going comatose when FS is under heavy write load (massive starvation)

    On Apr 27 2007 08:18, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    >Actually, you don't need to apply the patch - just do
    >
    > echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
    > echo 10 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
    >
    >and say if it seems to improve things. I think those are much saner
    >defaults especially for a desktop system (and probably for most servers
    >too, for that matter).

    Interesting. For my laptop, I have configured like 90 for
    dirty_background_ratio and 95 for dirty_ratio. Makes for a nice
    delayed write, but I do not do workloads bigger than extracing kernel
    tarballs (~250 MB) and coding away on that machine (488 MB RAM) anyway.
    Setting it to something like 95, I could probably rm -Rf the kernel
    tree again and the disk never gets active because it is all cached.
    But if dirty_ratio is lowered, the disk will get active soon.

    >Historical note: allowing about half of memory to contain dirty pages made
    >more sense back in the days when people had 16-64MB of memory, and a
    >single untar of even fairly small projects would otherwise hit the disk.
    >But memory sizes have grown *much* more quickly than disk speeds (and
    >latency requirements have gone down, not up), so a default that may
    >actually have been perfectly fine at some point seems crazy these days..

    Jan