    SubjectRe: [ext3][kernels >= 2.6.20.7 at least] KDE going comatose when FS is under heavy write load (massive starvation)
    On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 15:59 +0400, Marat Buharov wrote:
    > On 4/27/07, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > > Aside: why the heck do applications think that their data is so important
    > > that they need to fsync it all the time. I used to run a kernel on my
    > > laptop which had "return 0;" at the top of fsync() and fdatasync(). Most
    > > pleasurable.
    >
    > So, if having fake fsync() and fdatasync() is pleasurable for laptop
    > and desktop, may be it's time to add option into Kconfig which
    > disables normal fsync behaviour in favor of robust desktop?

    Nah, just teaching user-space to behave themselves should be sufficient;
    there is just no way kicker can justify doing a fdatasync(), I mean,
    come on its just showing a friggin menu. I have always wondered why that
    thing was so damn slow, like it needs to fetch stuff like that from all
    four corners of disk, feh!

    Just sliding over a sub-menu can take more than a second; I mean, it
    _really_ is just faster to just start things from your favourite shell.

    No way is globally disabling fsync() a good thing. I guess Andrew just
    is a sucker for punishment :-)

      Last update: 2007-04-27 14:33    [W:0.035 / U:62.124 seconds]